Hey all! This forum will hopefully be a collaborative attempt at theorycrafting a gish that is viable and fun to play. If any of you have created a gish before and went in blind, you probably came in expecting:
- A jack of all trades
- 🍏🍏🍏 "This odd job is one of the most powerful odd jobs. It is, at its most well-equipped, capable of performing roughly as well as a bad/poor example of a mainstream (non-odd) job. At certain levels, it may even be briefly as powerful as a mainstream job."
But given the difficulty assigning AP and the awful accuracy issues you faced as a result, your gish probably looked for like:
RIP GishGallop my lvl 36 F/P gish, deleted (soon, i'll get to it), to be forgotten (you were not fun)
But there are a number of fun reasons to make a gish. Namely:
- You are really the only oddjob that gets to use the full value of every stat so items like Zakum helms are fantastically cost efficient (gishlets dont seem to need the int as much as they usually go the f/p route)
- With a comparable magic hit rate, you can outdamage LUK mages (aka magelets), hence the 🍏🍏🍏
- You have one of the most, if not the most, unique playstyles of all the oddjobs.
However, there are also disadvantages
- You will likely need a tonne of funding for the LUK equips you need
- Your physical damage will be worse than gishlets, str mages, and beginners
However, the expensive items you need can also be used on other oddjobs. LUK equips can be used on like besinners and permarogues, and your WAtk shield can be used on your many oddjobs that equip daggers or other 1H weapons.
Ok, so let's get to the pros and cons of job advancements first
1. F/P Gish
Poison Mist is super strong on gishes and you may be the fastest grinder of all the gishes
I personally don't see the point of adding int if youre mainly going to use poison mist and you may be a lot stronger as a gishlet.
- The best PQ utility of every gish
- Heal damage scales with LUK and you will have a LOT of LUK so it seems like a no-brainer to go this route in terms of damage
- Loads of very useful skills like holy symbol
You MAY spend most of your time played healing so it doesn't have as unique of a playstyle unless you grind
3. I/L Gish
(I'll probably make this one)
- Good mobbing ability by 2nd job
- Can slow and freeze monsters for easy basic attacking
- Probably the most unique oddjob because str mage will go the priest route and gishlets will go the f/p route
None, its perfect and i love it and will make it (pls keep disagreements to yourself, i need the motivation)
4. Permamagician dex dagger HP gish
If you grind (no PQ!) one of these bad boys to level 70, deer will pass her leadership of the oddjobs guild to you (we have a verbal contract and I trust that she will uphold the deal)
- Need to HP wash a bit for the HP aspect (probably 2 dex 2 int 1 HP and then change this to accomodate washing)*
- I think I'd rather die??
*against the rules but that wont matter past 70 😉
You will probably want a tonne of LUK equips because it gives both magic and physical accuracy. It also has the advantage of being the cheapest stat an item can have. Here are the items I will assume our model gish will have:
- 10 luk earrings
- 20 luk bathrobe
- 10 watk, 5str shield
- +3 all stat valentines ring
- +5 all stat dep star
- You probably want a watk glove, possibly a pink marker for its LUK, but I will not factor this into our model gish
- Zakum Helm (+15 all stats will be assumed. This will probably be scrolled for dex (+12 dex for a 6/10 helm with 60% scrolls will be assumed but I think INT may be preferable if you're absolutely loaded because you need the magical accuracy)
- You will be constantly on accuracy pills if you might miss
- Coke pills will probably be preferred because you benefit from both the watk and matk. Early on, you will benefit from the fact it doesn't reduce accuracy.
- A blue wisconsin with 8 accuracy for the early levels (probably not the best item but whatevs i have one hehe)
Ok with that out of the way, now onto weapons. There isn't as much to say early on tbh, you probably want a one-handed weapon that has both watk and matk, so pick and choose from here. You may want to scroll your early items with 60% scrolls just for some extra damage as you'll be very weak. After 70, you could go for a black umbrella but I personally think that a kebob would be an amazing item on gishes at level 75. It has 5 more matk on average and although it has less watk, daggers' attack multiplier is much better than swords'. Further, scrolling it with daggers for ATT will give it some luk, which is very nice for your accuracies. Afterwards, you can move onto an arcglaive if you want.
Some other items include
- A WAtk palette for the extra LUK it gives (because you probably wont be scrolling a maple magician shield for WAtk.) You could also use a maple shield I guess but that's expensive af.
- Flamekeeper's Cordon for obvious reasons.
- A nice mage shoe will be nice. You will have the LUK requirements fulfilled but may struggle in the INT department.
- Choose your face/eye accessory as you please but WAcc isnt as big of an issue.
Now for the hard part, AP
This is the particularly difficult part of Project Gish™ and is the area I want help theorycrafting the most. My opinions coming into this area are:
- I don't like missing, it isn't fun
- I want my gish to use its skills for mobbing primarily or debuffing and basic attacks for single target
Due to the complicated nature AP assignment, I don't think it's productive to talk about how much of each stat you want to add per level. Rather, I'm going to give goals for each stat at certain milestones and I would like input about alternative stat goals that you think are better. These are pretty rough numbers and should be treated as such. Accuracy will be calculated with https://mrsoupman.github.io/Maple-ACC-calculator/
This will give you 68 WAcc (58 without accuracy pills), which will give you a 100% hit rate against genins (51.5 Acc needed for 100%). You magic hit rate against genins will be 96.4%.
This will give you 119 WAcc (109 without accuracy pills), which will give you a 100% hit rate against Papa Pixie (105 Acc needed for 100%). Your magic hit rate against Papa Pixie will be 79.5%.
This will give you 119 WAcc (109 without accuracy pills), which will give you a 100% hit rate against Voodoos (112 Acc needed for 100%). Your magic hit rate against Voodoos will be 91.3% (94% with 180 INT).
Your hit rate against Greatest Oldies will be 31.1% (182 Acc needed for 100%). Your magic hit rate against Greatest Oldies will be 40.4% (44.8% with 180 INT).
Basing your AP distribution on the previous one, at 76, you could have
Your magic hit rate against Voodoos will be 98.8% (physical was 100% at 70).
Your hit rate against Greatest Oldies will be 61.7%. Your magic hit rate against Greatest Oldies will be 73.3%
Higher accuracy alternative for CD grind
If you want more accuracy against CDs, you could go:
This will give you 179 WAcc (169 without accuracy pills), which will give you a 100% hit rate against Greatest Oldies (147 needed for 100%). Your magic hit rate against Greatest Oldies will be 91.3%).
Compromise between the two builds
This will give you 149 WAcc (139 accuracy pills), which will give you a 100% hit rate against Greatest Oldies. Your magic hit rate against Greatest Oldies will be 83.3%).